Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Humane Society of Wickenburg. It is truly an exciting place to be and a place where you can really make a difference. We have made a number of changes to our volunteer program as of October, 2020 We are excited to kick off a new volunteer program to support the activities at HSW. With social change comes a change in our needs and the way we operate. We hope you will be interested in donating your time to better the lives of our animals!
The following information is for adults, with very limited positions for juniors at least 16 years of age.
What has changed?
* HSW is moving to a paperless system. All of the volunteer application forms, orientation, and information are posted on our web site. Even if you have submitted the application previously, we ask that you complete the new streamlined online form. If this is not possible (a family member or friend could assist you) please let the volunteer coordinator know:
* HSW is requiring volunteers to join the HSW Membership at the Friend level or above. We are seeking volunteers who are committed to supporting HSW and demonstrating that support. If you aren’t a member, you can join online.
* There will be a focus on events, adoptions, thrift/resale store, community relations, or fundraising and there will be limited animal care positions. Our staff is able to manage the day to day care of the shelter animals, and with some exceptions (dog walking) there are limited volunteer opportunities for animal or facility care. Opportunities can be seen on our web site.
* We will have a distinctive western look at events so our volunteers reflect the nature of our town.
* There will be a dedicated Adoption coordinator on staff who will organize the adoption events.
What is staying the same?
* Commitment to our animals and HSW
* Having fun while volunteering
* Sharing adoption success stories and current shelter information
* The volunteer coordinator will be the main point of contact for assignments and questions
* We will have periodic meetings to keep volunteers updated on what is happening. These may be online at some times.
PLEASE NOTE: Under no circumstances will the Humane Society of Wickenburg be able to verify any hours for court ordered community service. Please contact the court for a list of participating non-profit organizations to verify your hours.
THE STEPS - How to become a volunteer:
Submit a Volunteer Application. Include complete and definite schedule availability the next 4-6 months. Please don’t write “flexible schedule” as we need specific days noted to plan. Most special events and adoption events are on weekends.
Review the online volunteer orientation slide set. In-person orientations are scheduled on an “as needed” basis. Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to schedule an orientation.
The volunteer coordinator will call you to discuss your areas of interest, answer questions, and assign you to a position that fits your interests and availability.
If accepted, training dates and volunteer schedules are usually assigned within the same month. Most volunteer positions require a firm monthly 2 -4 hour commitment for 6 months, depending on opportunities or type of volunteer work.
Thank you for caring!
Tammy Hankins, Executive Director
Pets awaiting forever homes need extra T.L.C.! Working in the adoption services department includes exercising and socializing dogs (limited availability), for a 2-hour shift. Shifts times start at 9am and 2pm, Monday through Friday, and 9am on Saturday. Volunteers working with dogs need to be physically able to handle very large, enthusiastic dogs.
Commitment required is 6 months with a regular weekly schedule.
This program provides free food to the pets of limited income or elderly citizens through delivery from the Senior Center. Food needs to be allocated into zip lock bags, labeled, and distributed to the senior center every 2 weeks. Route representatives also pick up food from donation bins in pet supply stores. You build rapport with store employees, helping them understand how beneficial AniMeals is to their stores and to the pets who receive the food.
Frequency: Twice twice per month. Dependable transportation and some heavy lifting are necessary.
Attend to customers, move stock, make sales, accept donations, etc. at our thrift shop. The Thrift Store is located in Sunshine Plaza, 1020 W Wickenburg Way.
This program involves volunteers going to various locations around the community, setting up a booth, and soliciting donations for HSW. Ambassadors also talk with the public about HSW programs and hand out brochures. At most events, an adoptable dog is taken along to increase interest.
NOTE: In order to transport/handle any adoption animals, you must complete the Animal Handling Training class.
Care for feral cat colonies in Wickenburg; trap new colony members and deliver for spay/ neuter and medical care before release back into the colony. Address questions and concerns within the community regarding feral cats.
Care for pets in your home! Volunteers provide varying levels of care for homeless dogs or cats, ranging from a warm quiet place to promote weight gain, to socializing with humans, noises, and new surroundings. Our most intensive level of care requires bottle feeding or medical administration around the clock. . Volunteers participate in an orientation, interview, and training process for certification. Once trained, the volunteers name is added to a list to be called to care for baby animals 2-8 weeks of age, as the need arises. (Volunteers are not ‘on-call’ indefinitely. They are called at the time of need to see if they are available for about 2-8 weeks.) The pet(s) are brought back to the shelter after foster goals are met.
At times, animals need to be transported to a veterinarian for routine services or to and from partnering shelters. Transport Volunteers will be contacted at the time of need and if available, will utilize the HSW vehicle to transport animals.
Our fundraising events include, but are not limited to, Bark in the Park, Wickenburg Beer Fest, HSW Strut Ur Mutt Dog Walk, and Feline Fashion Show. Tasks include set-up, take down, registration, auction sales, cashiering, vendor assistance, beer pouring, fun, etc.